Friday, April 1, 2011

Pocket money

By Bec


It's an age old question.....at what age should we give our kids pocket money?  How much is appropriate and should it be tied to chores?

I've been battling through these questions for a little while.  Having a son who wants a new toy everytime we go to the shops my Mum kept suggesting that he needed his own money so give him some jobs.

So I thought about this, what is the right amount of pocket money for a 4 year old?  I had heard an appropriate amount is a dollar per age, therefore $4 for my 4 year old.

Okay, but what about linking it to chores.  The yes team say, it's good for them to learn responsibility and that we have to work for our money.  The no team say, as part of a family there are jobs that kids should just do and not expect compensation, therefore their pocket money is not linked. I joined the yes team.

But my next thought was, what if he does half of his jobs and not the other?  Does he still get his money?

So our system was born.  Hunter has 7 jobs per day, and each job is worth 10c.  We have a chart and we tick off the job as he does it.  He can earn a maximum of $4.90 a week, but averages around $3-$3.50. 

I'm quite happy with this system.  We can prompt Hunter to do his chores but reminding him of those valuable ticks and when he wants something at the shops we remind him he needs to save for it.  Hunter was recently rewarded when he saved enough money to go on a shopping trip with Grandpa and purchase his much wanted Bakagun.

What do you think about pocket money for children?
His hard earned purchases!

4 comments:

  1. The no team say, as part of a family there are jobs that kids should just do and not expect compensation, therefore their pocket money is not linked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my.

    is this ever a challenge and a topic for debate.

    i always tell my husband our kids aren't always the problem, sometimes its a lack of parenting! when it comes to enforcing chore duty and following through on rewards, parental involvement is huge.

    i have found that my kids under the age of 6 are much more easily persuaded. my almost 9 year old pushes the line constantly. i am on the yes team and if they don't do a chore happily they have to do an extra job to earn the money. i don't take money they've already earned away as punishment for negative behaviors but instead try to taking other privileges away.

    all together i am not super mom but its all in the try. i like to believe every mother does their best while trying to maintain some level of sanity! good luck to you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the yes team and if they don't do a chore happily they have to do an extra job to earn the money.therefore their pocket money is not linked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gives 10$ daily to my little son and its happy
    to receive them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...