Friday, March 25, 2011

Birthday traditions

By Bec

Today is my daughter's birthday.  My baby girl is 2 years old.  It seems like only yesterday she was born.  And now she is an independent, chatty, loving girl.  I have to face facts, she isn't a baby anymore.  She moved into a bed a few weeks ago.  Her choice, I wasn't ready.  I was sure she would be in her cot until she was 5!  But as the bed had been in her room for a while as we got her brother a new king single, she just decided she was going in...but that's another story!

Birthdays are a big deal in our house.  I love throwing little parties for them, so they have one every year.  Just a few friends for a catch up.  I love making their birthday cakes.  Last year I made Savannah a giant cupcake. It was a real hit.  Now that Hunter is older, he really appreciates the cake I make for him.  The look on his face when he sees the cake for the first time is priceless - worth the hours spent icing and decorating.
Savannah's first birthday cake.
When my son turned 1 we took him to the zoo.  When he turned 2 we did the same thing, so began the family tradition. We go to the zoo for the kids birthdays every.  The zoo is a great family outing to celebrate another birthday (this year we are doing it without hubby as he has to work). 


We also go out for dinner on their birthday with family.  It's a celebration for us as parents too, to have survived another year!  We have been to Fasta Pasta for Hunter's birthday every year so far!  Last year he fell asleep in the car on the way there, so spent his birthday dinner asleep.  We are heading there again tonight for Savannah's birthday. 

I have a friend who blows up 100 balloons and puts them in her daughter's room the night before her birthday so she wakes up to a birthday surprise...I tried that one year but only managed about 20 balloons - didn't have the same effect..but I love that birthday tradition!

So as I ponder my baby growing up, and get ready to head off to the zoo, I would like to know does your family have any birthday traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...